Monday, April 8, 2013

Zero no Kiseki Prologue (Part 1)



Note:  This story translation is mostly based on the traditional chinese PC version of Zero of Kiseki.  I refer to the Japanese version from time to time, especially for certain names and terms.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lloyd: How is it, Tio?
Tio: Just as I thought.  Time, Space, Mirage... all three higher elements are at work here.  Exactly the same as in the "Tower" and the "Monastery".
Elie: Is that so, as expected... Looks like we have a difficult road ahead, it won't be easy.
Randy: In other words, there will be monsters loitering around... Man, sure gives people the creeps.
Lloyd: Okay, I understand the situation.  The enemy may be lurking around here somewhere... Everyone, let's keep our guards up and move with caution!
Elie/Tio/Randy: Roger!

---

Lloyd: This place is... ?!
Elie: A pit that extends deep underground.. can't believe it's this huge.
Randy: Visual estimation from here... it's at least around 500 arges deep.  Man, this is going to be such a drag...
Tio: .... *shivers*
Lloyd: Tio, what's wrong?
Elie: Are you okay? You look pale.
Tio: ... I'm fine.  This place just reminded me of the place I was once held at...
Lloyd: Place you were once held at.. ah, is that so?
Randy: You mean the hideout located west of the Republic?
Tio: .... Yes. I think that this pit was probably constructed to signify the pathway to the "Abyss".  In order to deny the existence of the goddess Eidos, and to befriend and summon the demons. As well as to serve as a site to carry out the "rituals".
Elie: ... That's horrible.
Randy: Just hearing that makes me sick.
Lloyd: If that's the case, then we have but only one mission.  For the sake of those people who helped open the way for us.  And for the sake of that child who's waiting for us to return home... we must completely destroy their twisted fantasies and expose them under the sun.  We won't let it cause anyone pain or suffering ever again...!
Tio: ...Lloyd-senpai...
Randy: Man, was going to say you're such a hotblooded idiot... but this time, count me in.
Elie: Hehe, count me in as well.  Our enemy is like a formless spider, pulling the strings whilst hiding in the dark... but we should be strong enough now to bring him down.
Tio: ...Yes.  We... won't lose!
Lloyd: Okay then, let's get moving! Lloyd Bannings and co., members of the Crossbell State Police Department Special Support Section, will now begin infiltration of the enemy base to put an end to all this...!

---

Mysterious Voice: Please find me...

---

Lloyd: Ah--!?! .. This place is... Oh right, now I remember.  After bidding farewell to Uncle, I checked in my luggage and boarded the train... after that...
Old Woman: Kid, are you alright?
Old Man: Looks like you're awake.  Judging from how you looked earlier, you must have had a nightmare.  Are you not feeling well?
Lloyd: Ah, no.. it's not like that.  I'm just lacking sleep.  It's like... I had a strange dream.
Old Man: Hehe, strange dream?  Was it a dream where you were helplessly chased around by sexy ladies~?
Lloyd: No.. nothing like that~... It wasn't such a sweet dream.
Old Woman: Honey... don't be making jokes like that to the young ones. Oh right, how about some iced lemonade to cure that drowiness?  I chilled it before storing it in the bottle.  I brought plenty with me.
Lloyd: Ah.. thank you.  Then I'll have some.  Gulp, gulp... Hah~~! Thanks for the treat! That was really delicious and refreshing!
Old Woman: Hehe, as long as you enjoyed it.
Old Man: By the way, judging from your attire... you don't seem to be an Erebonian.  You're from Crossbell, right?
Lloyd: Ah, yes.  Although I did live abroad for a short period of time, but I ended up coming back here.  Then, are you also a Crossbell citizen, sir?
Old Man: That's right.  We went on a tour to the Republic and are now on our way back.  But if you're just returning to Crossbell, you may be shocked at the changes after seeing Crossbell's current state.
Old Woman: Indeed.  Within these past 2-3 years, the streets of Crossbell have changed quite a lot...
Lloyd: So it's as I expected... Actually, I've passed by Crossbell a couple of times by train recently... it looks like several high-rises were built?
Old Man: Yes. After all, Crossbell has always been the major trade city on the continent.  And because the financial sector is very much developed, it easily attracts investors from all over.  Lots of funds are continuously flowing into Crossbell...  This trend became especially prominent after the signing of the "Non-Aggression Pact" two years ago.  Being the center of investment opportunities, things like department stores and office buildings were quickly constructed one after the other.
Old Woman: It's a good thing that it has become more convenient with all the infrastructures built around the city.  But the speed at which the city is developing certainly makes one dizzy.  Everyone is always busy, like slaves to time and money...
Lloyd: ....
Old Woman: Ah, I'm sorry.  I shouldn't be saying this when you're just returning to your hometown.  I didn't mean to disappoint you.
Lloyd: Not at all.  Please don't worry about it.  I've known quite a bit about this already from letters... And, no matter how much it has changed, hometown is still hometown.
Old Woman: Is that so...
Old Man: Hm, you're quite mature for your age.  In comparison, those politicians lately... doesn't matter whether they're on Erebonia or the Republic's side, they're all the same, all lusting for power... Mayor MacDowell is probably the only reliable one left.
Old Woman: Honey, honey.  Sorry about that, he can get a bit long-winded when it comes to politics.
Lloyd: Not at all.  I learned a lot.  Even though it's possible to read Crossbell Times abroad, but there are certain things that you can only grasp when hearing them first-hand.
Old Man: Oh, you're also a loyal reader of the Crossbell Times?  While it does contain some vulgar contents, it's generally a decent news magazine, right?  Though I do wish they'd spend more time reporting on the state government's administrative issues...
Lloyd: I see... it looks like there certainly are a lot of problems.  Ah!

Train Announcer: Attention all passengers.  This train will be arriving at Crossbell State's Crossbell City momentarily.  Passengers boarding flights to Liberl and Remifillia, please make transferration preparations.  In addition, adhering to Continental Railway Regulations, this train will remain in Crossbell Station for 30 minutes upon arrival.  Passengers preparing to enter the Erebonia Empire, please fill out the Arrival Card and hand them to the inspection officers.

Old Man: Hm looks like we're almost there.  I don't want to be bumping into any Erebonians on my way out. Let's pack up our things and prepare to get off.
Lloyd: Haha, you're right.
Lloyd: .......... (So it's been 3 years since then... while I've contacted sister Cecil a few times through Orbal Communication........ *takes out photograph* ...Brother, sister Cecil... I'm finally back.  Back to Crossbell, the city where we used to lived together.)

---

PROLOGUE: SPECIAL SUPPORT SECTION 


Lloyd: Wow~... the city really has changed a lot.  Even the stores have been renovated.  Huh? That building over there is...?
Old Man: That's the Orbal store that just opened last year.  It's a store that carries all sorts of new Orbal merchandise.  They even sell Orbal cars.  Cars made by Erebonia, the Republic, Liberl, Epstein, the store has everything.
Lloyd: Phew~ that's something.  Not only that, but there are more cars around... You don't see many of those around 3 years ago...
Old Woman: Hehe, it's still something only the wealthy can afford... I'm thankful that the Orbal buses are now making more frequent stops.  Take for example the Hospital down south.  It only takes 30 minutes if you take the bus.
Lloyd:  Oh~ that's definitely a lot more convenient.  Is that right... the city has undergone such big changes in just 3 years.
Old Man: Then, let's part ways here.  Don't you still have to report in to your job?
Lloyd: Ah.. that's right... But it's such a pleasure meeting you two, I was actually thinking of helping you carry the luggages home.
Old Woman: Ahh that won't do.  Don't want to be late on your first day at work.
Old Man: That's right that's right.  Whatever you do, it's important to have a good start.
Lloyd: Haha, guess you're right.
Old Man: But you've just returned, do you have a place to stay?  If you don't mind the East Street, I can help you find a good place.
Lloyd: Ah thank you very much for your kindness.  But I believe they prepared a dorm for me.  My luggages are most likely already sent there.
Old Man: Ah, is that so?
Old Woman: We live near the East Street exit.  If you need help with anything, feel free to come talk to us.
Lloyd: Sure! Thank you in advance.  Once I settled in, I'll definitely drop by.
Old Man: Well then, good luck.
Old Woman: Farewell.
Lloyd: Huh... that complex, it's still there.  I remember the Crossbell Times office used to be there.. Haha, sure brings back memories, but it doesn't match with its surroundings...  Well then, it's about time. 

*Lloyd takes out a letter from his pocket*

Letter: Assigning Officer Lloyd Bannings to Crossbell State Police Department Special Support Section.  Please report in for duty at the appointed time.  Crossbell State Police Department - Human Resources Section.

Lloyd: Special Support Section... I've never heard of this name while I was attending the Police Academy.  I haven't even recieved my uniform, just what kind of division is this..?  Oh well, guess I'll know once I get there.  Good thing the way to the Police Department hasn't changed much... Okay! Time to go report in!

---

Lloyd: (Crossbell State Police Department... even though I've been here a couple of times before... but starting today, I'll be working here.  Let's see, first I should say hello at the reception desk.)

Receptionist: Good afternoon!  Welcome to the Crossbell State Police Department.  What can I do for you?
Lloyd: Ah, well... My name is Lloyd Bannings.  Starting today I'll be working here.  Nice to meet you.
Receptionist: Ah I see.  Hehe, I'm so glad to have a new colleague.  Ah, but... hm, that's strange.  I didn't get any notice about a new recruit... Um, you're positive it's the Police Department and not the Guardian Force right?
Lloyd: Yes, it's the Police Department. I don't think there's a mistake.  Since I also obtained my Police Investigator Certificate at the Police Academy.
Receptionist: Ah! You passed the Police Investigator Examination?! Wow, you're amazing~! That's rare for new recruits!
Lloyd: Ah, i...it's nothing~ I was just a bit lucky.  Besides, I think I was the only examinee this time..
Receptionist: Ah~ you don't have to be so humble.  But that's really strange.  We should've gotten a notice if there's a new recruit coming in... Hm, may I ask which division you're assigned to?
Lloyd: Ah about that.. I believe it's called the "Special Support Section".
Receptionist: "Special Support Section".... Huh?  Do we even have a division like that here?
Lloyd: ....Uh.... there isn't?
Receptionist: Pl...please wait a moment.  I think I've heard of that name somewhere before, or maybe not.
Lloyd: .......
Man's Voice: Ah, you've come.
Receptionist: Ah, Chief Sergei..!
Chief Sergei: Fran, leave this guy to me.  He's the new recruit in my division.
Receptionist Fran: Ah, I see... the Special Support Section is that new division Chief established right?
Chief Sergei: Yeah, looking forward to working with you.  Although this new division probably won't even make it past half a year.
Receptionist Fran: Aha...haha...
Lloyd: ...Um...
Chief Sergei: I'm Chief of the Special Support Section, Sergei Lou.  Hm.. so you're Lloyd?
Lloyd: Yes sir.  I am Lloyd Bannings. Reporting in to Crossbell State Police Department Special Support Section--
Chief Sergei: Ah that can wait.
Lloyd: Huh?
Chief Sergei: It's still a bit early to be reporting in.  Follow me.  I'll introduce you to the others.
Lloyd: Eh, ah...?
Receptionist Fran: Um~... Do your best?  There are probably hardships ahead, but everything should turn out fine as long as you try your best!
Lloyd: O...ok... (feeling super nervous right now...)

Girl: Ah...
Red-haired Youth: Ah, looks like he's here.
Young Girl in Black: ............
Chief Sergei: Sorry for the wait.  This guy is the last member. Hey, introduce yourself.
Lloyd: Ah, yes. (Eh? Are these my seniors? Or also new recruits like me? No... there's even a child too..)
Chief Sergei: Hey, what's wrong? Just tell us your name and birthplace.
Lloyd: S..sorry.  My name is Lloyd Bannings, from Crossbell.  I used to live abroad for a while... and came back here after becoming a Police Officer.  Looking forward to working with you all.
Red-haired Youth: Ohh quite the serious guy.  I am Randy, Randy Orlando.  My hobbies include flirting, gambling, and looking at gravure idol magazines.  I'll let you sneak a peek at my precious collection later.
Lloyd: Eh...?!
Girl: ...Ahem. Nice to meet you. My name is Elie MacDowell. Also from Crossbell.  Looking forward to working with you.
Lloyd: Ah.. hello.
Young Girl in Black: Tio Plato, from the autonomous state of Leman. Nice to meet you.. *nods*
Lloyd: Nice to meet you.... Um, Chief Sergei?
Chief Sergei: Yeah what's wrong?
Lloyd: What kind of place is this "Special Support Section"? It seems like all the members, including myself, are quite young.
Chief Sergei: Ah, the situation is a little tricky.  But just so you know, they're all new recruits just like you.  Heh, feeling a bit more relaxed now?
Lloyd: Ah, is that so...
Elie: ... That's great, isn't it?
Randy: Yea totally, I'm glad there aren't any seniors to boss us around.
Tio: ......
Lloyd: (Just what kind of situation is this... I'm starting to get a really bad feeling about all this...)

Sergei: *answers the incoming call* This is Sergei... Alright, thanks for your hard work.
Lloyd: (Is that a portable communication terminal?  Are those things already put into practical use..?)
Sergei: Ok, I understand.  We'll take care of the rest.  *call ends* Ok, be excited, new recruits! Just what kind of jobs do we undertake here at the Special Support Section... you can all experience it for yourselves at our next destination.

< to be continued in Part 2 >


8 comments:

  1. Do you ever plan on releasing a part 2 for this? I really would like to play through this game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, don't think I will be since I believe someone on Youtube by the name of yangxu is doing a walkthrough+translation for this game :) So since Zero is being taken care of, I want to work on the other games.

      Delete
  2. Brother really appreciate your works kudos to you! I've been an avid follower of your translation blog and if you don't mind can you translate/narrate the story per chapter of zero no kiseki. I've read your work for ao no kiseki and I would really appreciate it if you'll also do the same for the zero. I can understand and read intermediate nihonggo so your narration would really help me a lot to understand fully the story. Thanks a lot man for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks for your support ^^
      Hm I think I remember someone on the Xseed forums doing the chapter summaries for Zero. Last I looked, I think the first few chapters were done? Maybe that's still ongoing... else you'll have to wait a while even if I do decide to pick it up later. I still have the Ao epilogue to finish and that alone will take quite a bit of time since it's huge.

      Delete
    2. Do you happen to have the link with you (for my convenience^^) if you don't mind. Otherwise I might try to look at it. As soon as I pick up the story and finish zero I'll proceed to Ao with the aid of your translation. Anyway I am still replaying ToCS (played SnK) right now so I might as well wait if the other chapters are still translated. Will be looking forward to your Ao's epilogue.

      Delete
    3. Actually I don't have a direct link to the Zero summaries ^^; I just know it's in a thread called "Ask us about Kiseki". I think the summaries are scattered here and there in that thread, you'll probably have to dig through it.
      Here's the link to the forum:
      http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showforum=252

      Delete
    4. Thanks bro didn't know this forum even exists.. will try as fast as I can to finish ToCS to proceed to crossbell arc. Kudos again for your hardwork and I certainly hope that you will let your forum alive and active for your followers ^^

      Delete
    5. Heh, take your time with the games, they're not going anywhere xD
      And I'll try to keep this place alive. I don't think it'll ever be "dead", just that I don't update as often as most people so there may be periods of no updates when I get busy haha.

      Delete